The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) has recognised Oluyomi Akinyemi, Associate Director, Data & Analytics, KPMG, with its Regional Advocate of the Year Award for Africa.
Oluyomi was lauded for his contributions to public engagements and advocacy for ACCA and emphasising the need for the accountancy profession to embrace diversity, competence and value adding initiatives.
Jamil Ampomah, ACCA director – Africa said:
‘Oluyomi has demonstrated unmatched excellence in driving the future of the accountancy profession and inspiring future finance professionals and I am very delighted he has received the ACCA Africa Regional Advocate of the Year Award. Oluyomi’s advocacy work focused on AI, data analytics, new technology and has been able to reach both members and students. Oluyomi has collaborated with ACCA Nigeria to create engagements that demonstrated the importance of AI and New Technologies to finance and accountancy and positioned the future-proof quality of the ACCA qualification. Congratulations on this wonderful achievement.’
ACCA launched the regional advocacy awards in 2017 to recognise members who go above and beyond in expressing public support for the accountancy profession, encouraging others and embodying ACCA’s values: Inclusion, Integrity and Innovation. These three values exemplify the unique reasons why ACCA was created in the first place, and the difference ACCA has brought to the global profession, and expresses them in a way that reflects our world today. Advocates are also members who deliver public value, display ethical professionalism and inspire others to follow in their footsteps.
The Advocacy Awards are not just about career achievement, but about the way that ACCA members give back to their communities, and help ACCA to develop the next generation of professional accountants.
The full list of ACCA Regional Advocacy Award winners for 2020 are:
• ACCA Africa Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Oluyomi Akinyemi from Nigeria.
• ACCA ASEAN and ANZ Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Heather Smith from Australia
• ACCA China Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Bonnie Chan from Hong Kong SAR
• ACCA Eurasia and New Markets Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Ivan Topolya from Russia.
• ACCA Europe & Americas Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Timothy Kelland from the UK.
• ACCA Middle East and South Asia Regional Advocate of the Year 2020: Rathnakala Kumaragurunathan from Sri Lanka.